I’m so excited that I finished my first roman shades!!! This has been a long time coming but I finally committed to a fabric, broke out the sewing machine and made my first roman shades.
It feels really good. Especially since I priced having a roman shade made for this window at Calico Corners and they wanted $340 for the labor plus fabric. Crazy!! It actually didn’t take that long and wasn’t really that difficult.
I followed this tutorial, which is very detailed with pictures.
The fabric is by Waverly, which I bought at JoAnn’s at 40% off so the fabric ended up being $20/yd. I bought 5.5 yards for the two windows I’m doing so that was $110. I’m going to have some left over because I have to sew fabric together for the second window because it’s wider than the width of the fabric. I lined the face fabric with black out liner to prevent fading. The black out fabric was about $6/yd and I bought 5 yards with a coupon, so I think it was $25 for the liner fabric. Then you need the drawstring cord and rings to run the cord through, eye screws, dowel rod, mounting board and velcro. I guess everything was about $160 for the two windows. The other window is huge, it’s the one on the left below. I think it’s about 72″ wide.
Here are some pics of the process…
Be sure to square up the fabric so it hangs properly in the window. I did this using an L-square ruler.
Laying out the liner and face fabric…
Below you can see what the finished shade looks like on the back side. I used a kind of plastic twill tape with rings attached that I sewed to the shade. I got lucky because they just happened to line up on the black stripe so the thread doesn’t show.
As I mentioned at the beginning, I followed instructions from another blogger and she did a great job so just go check out her instructions for all the details.
I can’t wait to start the next window so we can take down the black plastic covering the window, lol!!